Thursday, March 8, 2012

Update: One Week In

So far, I'm right on schedule :)

This past week has been amazing. I'm thankful for all of the encouragement that I've received from my friends and family. It is also astonishing how folks are saying "yes" for me in regards to my letter of recommendation request. In particular, I am touched by words of my friend C who said, "I'll do it" when I asked her to write me a letter despite the fact that she is currently working on her senior thesis along with her other classwork and (probable) job hunting.

Since last Thursday, March 1st, so much has occurred and most of it revolves around my life as a Princeton alum. On Monday and Tuesday, I had the opportunity to interact with so many local Princeton alums during activities related to President Shirley Tilghman's visit to Washington. Over dinners, happy hours, and receptions, I caught with old friends and made new ones. In course of meeting new folk and networking, I've been offered some pretty solid advice in terms of pursuing career opportunities. Moreover, a fundamental lesson was reinforced after reflecting upon these interactions:

Following up with people and thanking them is very, very important

On Wednesday morning I believe that I sent out around 10 "thank you and follow-up" emails.

Also, witnessing the success of the folks around me serves as motivation. I have friends who have been accepted to grad schools or are also taking that next step; although I know that I need to follow my own path and can't compare it to someone else's, I am also capable of doing something big. And with that said...

Looking forward, I am going back to Princeton tomorrow (for the entire weekend) in order to watch the Raks (belly dancing show). I have some dear friends who have been working hard and I'm looking forward to watching them perform. In my downtime, I have applications to read for the Princeton Prize and cover letters to draft: should be fun!

Finally, I want to highlight to things that really touched me this week.

First, my friend Jamelle Sanders emailed me with a newsletter featuring the theme: "Fight for Destiny." In it he writes:

"How bad do you want your destiny? Will you fight for your future? Or are you going to give up on your dream? This is not the season to quit but this is the season to fight! Victory will never be won without violent warfare. What you are feeling is the war for your future. You cannot bow to the pressure but you must break your way into purpose. Change is within your grasp. You are moving into cycles of greatness. This is the moment that you have be waiting for. Now is the time to move into your future. Divorce your past and discover your purpose. Stop giving your past your attention because it will only cause your significance to be aborted. You have too much to do to be tormented by the disappointments of yesterday!"

Translation for me: let go of the past, and focus aggressively on the present moment; do your thing.

Second, someone from the Princeton Alumni leadership team wrote this to me in an email:

"It was wonderful to meet you. I heard from many constituencies, 'if it weren’t for Reggie we wouldn’t have…(fill in the blank)'. Thank you for keeping the tiger spirit alive in DC."

A note like this means so much to me. It's humbling when someone tells you that you've done something good for folks. This was one of the little things that made a big impact on my day.


#DoOrDieMarch
#FightForDestiny

No comments:

Post a Comment