Saturday, March 10, 2012

Three Really Good Things

Yesterday (Friday) three really good things happened: 

1. Meeting R 

The usual method I take to travel to Princeton is simple yet long: (1) Megabus from D.C. to Philadelphia - 3 hours, (2) Train from Philadelphia to Trenton - 1 hour, (3) Bus from Trenton to Princeton - 45 minutes. When I got on the Megabus, the only seats left were upstairs at the very back of the bus. I went to the back and found a seat next to R. R is around my age, attends college locally, and the only reason I really met her is because of the fact that the Megabus was delayed an entire hour due to "lack of air pressure." 

Never before have I struck up such a fascinating, natural, and important conversation with an individual so quickly. In the span of three hours, we covered a lot: college, jobs, nightlife, the future, friends, privilege, homophobia, relationships, Joseph Kony, TV, etc. While chilling with R over the span of a three hour bus ride, something that really stuck out to me was the fact that there are people like me out there; young people who are working hard, doing what they need to do (whatever that might be), and trying to find their way. Meeting R was unbelievable because we had the type of natural connection that makes for fast friends, yet was as random as anything and probably would have never occurred under normal circumstances. 

We're probably going to meet up later this week. 

2. My Conversation L 

L is one of my closest friends at Princeton and I happened to catch her at the right time near the end of dinner. I'm not going into details about this one, but I'll say this: it was good to have another insightful, meaningful, and deep talk with L. 

3. Catching up with Y 

Y and I have known each other since freshman year. We both knew that we would be in Princeton on Friday night and decided to meet up for a few games of beruit. It's always good to see an old friend and catch up with one another. Eventually, Y and I got into a deep discussion about relationships and she helped me to discover the following: I am a relationship guy. 

Repeat: I am a relationship guy. 

This is an important fact and maybe, just maybe I'll expand upon this development in another entry (it's something that will need to be carefully crafted in order to keep it appropriate and informative without giving away to much detail or hurting any one). 

But these three encounters were wonderful. I met a new friend and caught up with two good ones. Although I said that I should not have really came back to Princeton, I'm glad I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment