Thursday, March 15, 2012

On the Way Out

"On my last day, I want to be remembered as a good guy who worked hard each day, excelled at his job, and was kind to folk. " - one of my Tweets from yesterday.

Response from my friend E: " you will be :)"

Tomorrow will be my last day working at this D.C. non-profit. At the beginning of the week I thought that the end would be a time for me to celebrate; I still think it will be, but it will also trigger some reflection. Although I realize that this is only a temporary position, I would like to think that I gave it #everythingIhave for the folks who have been good to me. Once again, Lil Wayne's lyrics come to mind:

"And if you leave, leave correct."

Those words are all about consideration. Recently, this value - consideration towards others - has been very important to me. Here's an example:

Last weekend, I kept my word to four friends of mine that I would attend their belly-dancing show back on Princeton's campus. Given my modest means, the best way for me to get back to Princeton totalled a six-hour trip for which I departed work early on Friday afternoon. Just an illustration:

3 hour bus ride from D.C. to Philly - $18.00
1 hour train ride from Philly to Trenton - $10.00
45 minute bus ride from Trenton to Princeton - $2.55

Total (plus delays and approximate waiting time) = 6 hours, $30.55 - it's still cheaper than taking the train, lol - That's 12 hours and $61.10 if you consider having to take a round trip.

Here's the cool part: I would do this again. I would forgo half-a-day's wages and a good chunk of my weekend for two reasons: (1) I can say that I kept my word and (2) it was so nice to see my dear friend of 5 years smiling and having fun - that's priceless.

One of the things that I thought about on the way home from Princeton is if I should expect other folks to show me a similar type of consideration and, after reflecting on it for a few days, I can honestly say the answer is no. We follow and live by our own beliefs because we consider them to be "the right thing to do." It is unfair to ask others to live by our exact beliefs, morals, or values. Just in terms of this idea of consideration, I've done things for others that I know they would probably not do for me and (for the most part) I'm cool with that.

But when a person or an organization shows an interest and invests in you, I think a special type of consideration is warranted: that's why I am so keen on leaving this non-profit on a strong and correct note. I cannot say enough about how amazing the people here have been to me and how they've helped to "get me back in the game." I think that if I went back in a time-machine to December and took a look at myself, I would not even recognize the man in front of me. The experience of working at this non-profit has been nothing less than empowering: there's nothing like being able to smile again.

Regarding my last entry, my friend M said something that really touched me:

"Proud of you bro. I know it can be hard to swallow your pride sometimes, and not let your ego get the best of you. It can happen to the best of us. But everything happens for a reason, even if it isn't meant to be understood. Rather, we must accept what is embrace whatever is to come."
So today, I working on completing all of my assignments and wrapping-up any loose ends. And tomorrow? I'll be showing the new person the ropes and saying my goodbyes.

And then come 5:00 pm? I might just have a single drink to celebrate, ride the Metro and bus home, and sleep.

#EverythingIHave

2 comments: