Thursday, March 1, 2012

My March Plans... And Future Plans.

Education.

At the moment, I'm going down the path of becoming an educator. There's something special It's a privilege to be able to share your knowledge and insights with another human being in a formal capacity.

Now, how I'm going to get there... that's going to be one roller-coaster of a ride, lol. First a little recap:

  • For the past few months, I've been working as an administrative assistant at a D.C. non-profit that deals with gerontology and advocacy for the elderly. I've enjoyed and appreciate this experience immensely. The folks here have been great to me and I've been giving it my all every day; however, I want to be an educator.
  • A little bit more than a month ago, I had coffee with three of my friends at a local cafe (not Starbucks, lol). I told them that by April 1st, I'll be exactly where I want to be.
  • Grad school is definitely on the table with a master's of public policy being the top pick right now
  • I'm doing a bunch of programming for the local Princeton Alumni Association, the Princeton Club of Washington (PCW) as the co-chair of its program committee. So far I've organized a visit to the RACE exhbition at the Smithsonian, a visit to the American Art Museum, and a Washington Wizards game.
  • Finally, I've been back to Princeton twice in 2012 - the first time to catch up with J, N, M, S, and other Quad folk and the second time for Alumni Day... I'll admit, there's something about being on an educational campus that I enjoy. 

Ok, with all that said, I have a month left to get some things done. March is going to be a little different in that I'm attacking things head on, i.e. being proactive. This is not to say that I was not proactive in the past, but this time, I'm going to be more aggressive and there's going to be some aggression at play in terms of achieiving these two goals (1) Being involved in educational organizations (schools, volunteering etc.) by the end of the month and (2) Positioning myself for an opportunity in education by the end of March.

Here's the timeframe:

March 1st (today): Requests for letters of reference
March 5th: Cover letter completed
March 12th - March 16th: Getting back letters of reference
March 19th - Start working with a local educational organization
March 30th - Interviews
Mid-Late April - GRE

I'm going to keep the more intricate details to myself, but I'm looking forward to this ride. Also, I intend to use Saturdays to network and study for the GRE - should be fun times.

Also, here are some more important dates:

March 5th - 6th: Meeting up with local and National Princeton Alumni Leadership
March 9th - 10th: Return to Princeton for the Raks Odalisque (last time for a while).
March 16th: ?????? - we'll see what happens
March 17th: PCW St. Patrick's Day Mixer (I'm organizing this and it should be a great party)
April 1st: Wrestlemania 28 (I'm definitely ordering this PPV - the Rock vs. John Cena, lol)

One more thing: I'm going to search for opportunities every day and if you have any leads, please let me know. Ok, it's showtime.

P.S.: I made my own hashtag on Twitter #DoOrDieMarch - so you can follow my progress and see what's happening on a day-to-day basis.

1 comment:

  1. I'm most definitely rooting for you!
    I think you are 1000% capable of completing your goals and I believe you will make everyone PROUD of you!
    So here is my blessings !

    -Ryan Booth

    ReplyDelete