Saturday, May 19, 2012

Appreciating Chuck Brown

Chuck Brown - a legend. 

I am fortunate to say that I have seen Chuck Brown and his band perform three times. The first time was in March 2007 at Constitution Hall. He went performed right before The Roots and was amazing. In the summer of 2010, I saw Chuck Brown perform at the Summer Spirit Festival at Merriweather Post Pavilion. Finally, during last year's Labor Day weekend, I saw Chuck Brown perform with the National Symphony Orchestra on the grounds of the Capital - truly magnificent. I think I can safely say that the majority of the folks there didn't come to see the National Symphony Orchestra; they came to see Chuck. 




I think there are three reasons why I appreciate Chuck Brown. The first thing and foremost his music is amazing! Go-go music is right up my alley - it's a sub-genre of funk with elements of Latin and West African music (the call and response elements of go-go go back to West African music and the Black Church tradition). The go-go I grew up with is really of the new school because it incorporates elements of hip-hop; all of this comes from Chuck Brown - "The Godfather of Go-Go" - Check this out: 




This song is really both old school and new school because it has hip-hop elements, yet incorporates that old school feel (I don't remember the sample here, but it is so familiar). "Block Party" is the type of song that my parents and I would both appreciate - Chuck Brown's music is inter-generational and thus timeless. 

Secondly, I appreciate how much Chuck Brown has done for the community, i.e. black people in D.C. If you just read one article or reflection on Chuck Brown his contributions to the D.C. will be evident immediately. Read this. Chuck Brown (and his music) was always positive and was about community and feeling good. 

Lastly, more so than any other person (artist, athlete, or politician), Chuck Brown personifies D.C. Repeat: Chuck Brown Personifies D.C. In addition to being the fundamental figure behind D.C.'s unique cultural contribution to music, Chuck captured a sense of style and humility that I believe is a trademark of this city; I know that this city is changing, but I hope it doesn't lose those two traits. 

If you're not from D.C., there's a good chance that you are unfamiliar with Chuck Brown or his legacy; if so, this will give you a good idea of how important this man was to the DMV: 

The Front Page of the Washington Post
 Thank you Chuck Brown and Rest in Peace 

No comments:

Post a Comment