Monday, April 9, 2012

April: The Season Finale?

I'm a TV fanatic and "back in the day" my two favorite shows were 24 and Smallville. Every April and May, I would watch both of these shows obsessively each week - even in college when I had major papers and other assignments due. And of course, there was the finale of both of these shows. For Jack Bauer, all of the business and chaos of the previous 22 hours would wrap up in a two-hour finale, thus concluding the day. Conversely, Smallville season finales were cliffhangers and followed a certain formula: Clark Kent would complete a villain or complete a task in the season finale, only to introduce (or strongly hint at) the villain or task  that would span the entirety of the following season. I need to explain this for those folks who never watched Smallville: At the end of the eighth season, Clark defeats Doomsday, but in that every same episode, Zod (or at least his younger clone Colonial Zod) was unleashed upon Earth and served as the primary antagonist for Season Nine. Anyway, I feel that April is going to be the finale of this "season" of my life.

I can best describe this period of my life by naming my two primary activities: (1) "Figuring things out" and (2) volunteering with the Princeton Club of Washington. In terms of "figuring things out," I now know what I want to do: pursue a public service oriented career with an emphasis on public policy and education. Although I'm not going to reveal too many (actually any) details here, I'm happy to say that I have an interview soon for a position relating to these aims and I'm pumped; I need and what this. At the moment, I'm doing my homework so I'll be prepared to "bring it" when the time comes. For months, I've spent entire days in D.C. area libraries researching and applying for opportunities - I'm tired of doing that and I'm sick of being on the sidelines... like I said, I need this! 

Secondly, since the beginning of the calendar year (2012), I've had the pleasure of serving as the Programs Chair for the Princeton Club of Washington. I've enjoyed putting together various programs for my fellow alums and meeting some amazing people. Later this month, I am going to have an opportunity to meet some more amazing people: potential members of Princeton's Class of 2016. I'm happy to say that later this month, on Tuesday April 24th to be exact, I will have the privilege of speaking to these (hopefully) new Tigers at our new admits reception on Capital Hill. Even though I've done this plenty of times before on campus at the Carl A. Fields Center, this is on another level. For five minutes, I'll be delivering remarks to these new Princetonians in front of their parents, siblings, relatives, my fellow alums, and members of Congress - this is a big deal and I'm looking forward to it! But I'm not doing this alone. If you are a Princetonian (active undergraduate or alum), you can help me by commenting on this note: https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150886920249046

It looks like things are coming to a head. I know that some things never end such as continuing to "figure things out" and being a Tiger - that's for life; however, this stagnation is over. 

P.S.: This is for you NS <3: #AprilTheSeasonFinale 

No comments:

Post a Comment