Tuesday, January 24, 2012

5 Little-Known Reggie Facts...

It seems as if my entire life is on Facebook (well, thanks to the new "Timeline" feature, it probably is, lol); however, there still exist interesting facts about me of which even my closest friends are unaware. Today, I'm going to reveal just 5 of them and if there is interest, I'll share some more.

1. I am still a big fan of professional wrestling:


Yesterday after work, I had dinner with two college friends in Dupont Circle and left right at 8:00 pm so that I wouldn't miss the opening for WWE Monday Night Raw at 9:00 pm. The truth of the matter is that I've been watching professional wrestling non-stop since 1999 or for 13 years straight. Do I know that it's fake and the outcomes are predetermined? Yes. Do I know that the current WWE product is marketed towards kids (I think the demographic is 18 and under)? Yes. So then, why do I still watch? I appreciate the details that go into wrestling in that the wrestlers have to be both superb athletes and actors. Moreover, there are nice subtle things to look out for when watching pro wrestling such as how the wrestlers "work the crowd" or "tell a story" in a match. Currently, my favorite wrestler is The Rock (since he's back) and I'm pumped for Wrestlemania 29 and his match against John Cena.

2. I don't eat bread... period.

Have you ever had a meal with me? What about multiple meals? If so and if you've paid close attention, you would know that I just don't eat bread. If I'm eating a burger, I will always take off the bun. If I'm eating tacos (which is one of my favorite dishes) I'll always request a corn shell. And, well, I just don't eat pizza. Although, my tongue itches when I eat bread, I do not think that I'm allergic to it per say. Rather, I would say that I'm "adverse" to gluten... I do like cornbread though :)




3. I was a letterman varsity athlete in high school! 


Yes, believe or not, I earned a letter while playing a varsity sport at John F. Kennedy High School in Silver Spring, Maryland. Interestingly enough, I played coed volleyball and it was quite the experience lol. Yes, in Montgomery County, Maryland each high school has a coed volleyball team and I played outside hitter I(primarily, also did a little digging) during my sophomore and junior years. Unfortunately, our team wasn't so great and we lost a lot, but I definitely had a fun time.

The best part about being on the team was the opportunity to take long bus rides and chill with my friends. We listened to a lot of music and told a lot of great jokes - special times.


4. One of my favorite movies is Gone With The Wind.


Those of you who are still reading this (I kindly thank you) might be wondering how can a dude who watches professional wrestling each week also like Gone With The Wind?

Well, for starters, this movie is a combination of two of my favorite genres: war movies and epics. I think the movie is at least over three hours long and the war/battle scenes are brutal. Of course, Gone With The Wind is truly a romantic, but the two main characters are so dynamic! Watching Scarlett (Viven Leight) and Rhett (Clark Gabel) together is just a treat. Their chemistry is amazing and something rare in Hollywood today.

The only thing that I don't like about the movie, of course, is its portrayals of black folk. The way black people, the slaves (and then servants) is cringe-worthy, especially Butterfly McQueen's performance as Prissy. I feel the same way that Malcolm X did  "when Butterfly McQueen went into her act, I felt like crawling under the rug."


5. My first song I really remember is Michael Jackson's "Remember The Time"

This is really the first song that I remember. I was two when this video first came out and (according to my folks) I emulated everything that MJ did... including the inappropriate grabbing lol.

Michael Jackson is the best ever!




Thanks so much for reading!

1 comment:

  1. "Remember The Time" is a great first song to remember! Mine is Mary J. Blige's "Real Love," which came out when I was two and a half, and I remember my mom blasting it on the radio in the house. (My mom was in her early 20s in the early 90s = 90s R&B will always feel like home to me.)

    ReplyDelete