Friday, February 3, 2012

BHM Profile #1: Ruby Doris Smith-Robinson

I want to do something special to celebrate Black History Month. A few days ago, I hinted in this blog entry that I was frustrated that a wider and more diverse array of black folk were recognized. And well, if I say this, then I have to do my part. This month, I am going to profile some of the black individuals and organizations whom efforts and contributions I believe to be understated. I'm just going to highlight amazing people from all walks-of-life and offer a few thoughts.


"You could feel her power in SNCC on a daily basis" - Matthew Jones, SNCC Freedom Singer


Ruby Doris Smith-Robinson (1942-1967)


(Please check out a good wikipedia about Ms. Ruby Doris Smith-Robinson here)


Raise your hands if you've heard of a group called SNCC - the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee. Now raise your hands if you're familiar with either John Lewis or Stokely Carmichael? How about this: How many of you have heard of Ruby Doris Smith-Robinson?

Before I took a class on the Black Power era in college, I had never heard of this awesome lady. And the reason I call her awesome is that she was really a "bad-ass" lady! As SNCC's first female Executive Secretary, she instituted a "jail, no bail" policy, which meant when a SNCC member was arrested in a demonstration, he or she would not be bailed. Prior, to the implementation of jail, no bail, older members of the black community would gather funds to post bail for jailed SNCC members, but eventually, this practice became burdensome for the community. Ms. Smith-Robinson's effort demonstrates true concern for the people and a spirit of sacrifice. Moreover, it would be one thing if she simply created and implemented this policy; however, she actually lived it. Read this:

"On February 1961, students used the "jail, no bail" tactic, serving jail for 30 days after getting arrested in Rock Hill, South Carolina for participating sit-in of honoring the anniversary of Greensboro. Once she joined the Freedom Riders, she immediately took part of a ride that was going from Nashville, Tennessee to Montgomery, Alabama in May 17, 1961. However, she was violently attacked and was beaten in Montgomery, and was arrested in Jackson, Mississippi for traveling inflammatory. After the arrest, She used “jail no bail” by accepting 45 days in Parchman State Prison"

If that isn't leadership, then I don't know what is.

It takes a special type of person to be able to work "behind the scenes." For everything that John Lewis and Stokely Carmichael did in the public sphere, I can imagine that Ms. Smith-Robinson had to do twice as much. She was the main logistical mind behind SNCC as well as an active participant in many of the sit-ins and freedom rides. I really don't think that Ruby Doris gets the credit or recognition that she rightfully deserves and this might be in large part due to the blatant patriarchy that existed within SNCC, particularly during Carmichael's leadership. In any case, I just want to say that I appreciate Ruby Doris Smith-Robinson's contributions and life.

No comments:

Post a Comment