Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Where I've Been and Occupy Wall Street.


It's a fortunate situation when you can just pick up where you've left off: that's what I'm doing by writing this blog entry two months removed.

I also blessed that I've been able to come home and pick up right where I left off. First and foremost, I'm grateful to my parents for their unconditional love and support (even though they're probably not reading this). It's thanks to them that I'm able to take this time right now to explore my options and really "take it easy" for a bit.

After my folks, I need to give a shout out to my friends Matt and Roxy who have shown me that fun does indeed exist after college, lol.

So, where have I been? I've pretty much replaced my Facebook status updates with Tweets and am spending most of my days in the library studying and exploring my options. And I've learned that I have a lot more in common with the "common folk" than I assumed and timing is everything.

One thing that is really on my mind right now is my relationship with Princeton as it relates to the Wall Street Movement. Although I do not see myself as an investment banker (or in a related field), I am connected to a lot of people who either are or are pursuing careers in this field. Moreover, Dr. Cornel West - one of my greatest teachers and favorite professors - was arrested this past Sunday as a form of protest. Here's the irony: Dr. West is protesting against the institution that many of students sitting in his class (my former peers) are primed to enter.

I am not an economist and I am not aware of the specifics of this economic recession, but I know that many Americans who are working hard and are "doing the right thing" have been cheated by the actions of a few. My question is this: will my friends and former classmates who are about to enter Wall Street roll with the status quo or push for reform.

From another vanish point, I am also connected to men and women who have either (1) been "laid-off" from their jobs or (2) are struggling to find a job. It's rough... to feel their pain and I imagine that they may even experience a sense of powerlessness. My father once told me that one of the unique aspects about being black is having a "nexus" to those who are well-to-do and those that are struggling - I'm feeling that right now. Yet, there's a different type of nexus at work right now in that I feel empathy for everyone out there who is struggling to find a job or to keep one. People bond and come together over shared experiences; this type of pain caused by the current economic recession is an experience that people all around the world are sharing - it transcends racial, ethnic, nationality or other types of identifications.

If I had a to pray for something right now, I would ask God to bestow the necessary awareness upon those in power so they might be enabled to do what's right for all of us.

One more thing: Jared and Maya - thanks for your support and insights! Keep 'em coming!

2 comments:

  1. First off, thanks for the shout-out. And you're welcome!

    And a hopefully thought-provoking question: If the pain caused by the shared experiences of un/underemployment and other recession-related ills transcends all sorts of social lines (which I agree with you that it does), then why are the various Occupy movements having such a hard time attracting peoples of color? Sure, some big names in the black community have been showing support, and some bloggers have been showing support, but when I look at pictures, I don't see us representing, and I want to know why. Or at least, your thoughts as to why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading Maya! My best guess involves two trends (1) the white people involved in the movement have more resources than blacks and this enables more of them to be involved. By resources I am referring to the "time" to get involved (as a result of having money and not having to work, etc.) and "financial" (or money) resources to incur the necessary expenses associated with being involved such as food, shelter, transportation etc.

    The other reason (2) I think is the "black faces in high places" phenomenon; there aren't too many black people in leadership positions in this movement so black people are less likely to be highly or proportionally visible. It's kind of like how black visibility and black leadership is low in the mainstream LGBT and Women's movement. Conversely, when Al Sharpton held his "march for jobs" in D.C. this past Saturday, he of course had a huge African American turnout: http://bit.ly/q7LtsE

    ReplyDelete